Local organizations offering rental assistance

The United Way of Greater Chattanooga

Rent and Utility Assistance

If you are looking for rent or utility assistance, please contact one of our Community Resource Specialists on our 211 team. They will be better able to point you in the right direction of local resources.

  • Speak with a Community Resource Specialist by dialing 2-1-1, 423-265-8000, or toll free at 1-866-921-3035
  • Text your zip code to 898-211 to start a text chat
  • Email us at 211staff@uwchatt.org 

This free, local service is available Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm


Chattanooga Human Services which can be reached at 757-5541. This non-profit may be able to offer help with paying rent, mortgage, and utilities. Qualified people can apply for financial assistance at most once per year. The agency may also provide relocation assistance; referral to shelters as well as emergency housing and other services. The non-profit may also give financial aid to people owing a debt to the Housing Authority. All emergency assistance is for low-income families.


Chattanooga Housing Authority The government organization also administers low income and public housing (including money for rent) as well as the HUD Section 8 housing voucher program. Both programs will give preference for housing support to people with disabilities as well as families who are homeless through no fault of their own. Call this Tennessee organization at 423-752-4893


Metropolitan Ministries

MetMin is closed to in-person contact until further notice. We will, however, continue assisting by phone only. We will accept phone calls for assistance Monday – Thursday starting at 9am for the first 20 callers. 

Please call 423-624-9650 or 423-624-9654.

Assistance Areas Include:

  • Past due utility bills (electricity, gas, water, and sewer)
  • Past due rent payments
  • Food vouchers to the Chattanooga Area Food Bank (available only on Mondays & Tuesdays)
  • On-site grocery store for seniors available only on Wednesdays
  • Access to other community resources

United States Catholic Conference services the needy in the greater Chattanooga community with spirituality and simplicity. Call (423) 624-3222


Samaritan Center, Inc. offers social services, and they are a charity that is supported by the local community. Funds for basic needs such as rent, deposits, housing, and food may be offered. Call (423) 238-7777

National Resources

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC)